Hansell Tierney is one of the premier staffing and recruiting companies in the Pacific Northwest. Launched in 2001, we are a woman-owned business that serves and staffs Northwest organizations by doing things the right way, not just the easiest way. Hansell Tierney partners with candidates and clients to match the best candidates with interesting local opportunities. We navigate every relationship with the highest level of discretion and service while holding ourselves accountable to our promises. Our business thrives on our deep understanding of the job market and our ability to skillfully tailor our recruitment process to meet our clients’ unique needs.
We are currently helping our client, USAFacts, with a search for a Managing Editor to join their growing team.
USAFacts is a non-profit, non-partisan civic initiative privately founded and funded by Steve Ballmer. The aim is to give the American public free access to comprehensive, contextual, and unbiased government data. USAFacts aggregates data on spending, revenue, and outcomes from over 70 different government sources, spanning the federal, state, and local levels. USAFacts also publishes an annual "10-K Report” modeled on the form public companies file with the SEC, as well as an Annual Report that a shareholder would receive. The initiative encourages fact-based debate and civic engagement which we believe is essential to our democracy.
Duration - Permanent/FTE
Location - Bellevue, WA
Work sponsorship is not available at this time
The Managing Editor is responsible for managing our the USAFacts editorial process and content calendar to ensure best practices are met in creating timely, relevant digital content that grows the organization’s audience. This position resides on the product team but will work across the full organization to ensure content is consistently produced, accurate, and marketable.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute content roadmap to ensure that the organization produces a constant flow of interesting and appealing content across newsworthy topics
- Suggest story topics based on current events, research, and inputs from multiple internal and external sources
- Work with product team to ensure that content is differentiated from competitive set
- Push content to the next level by ensuring we are asking interesting questions, performing insightful research, and writing in a compelling and professional manner
- Provide best-in-class advice for digital content including titles, graphics, and content placement throughout the site; evolve content based on analytics and/or user feedback
- Curate, tag, and search-engine optimize content
- Ensure USAFacts content is accurate, unbiased, and follows editorial guidelines
- Take a leading role in identifying frameworks for analysis for longer reports
- Identify and incorporate customer feedback in an ongoing manner to ensure content meets the needs of the public
- Be called on to write as needed, contributing content to the canon
- Encourage and enable peer review (either internal or with external partners/experts) when possible
- Find opportunities to grow the USAFacts audience by assigning and editing contributions from freelancers, establishing a group of contributors through external networks, suggesting new content formats, revising content roadmap to maximize for SEO or social platforms, or other means
Required Skills and Experience:
- BA in Journalism, English, or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience as managing editor or similar role
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- Expertise in digital content production including SEO and analytics
- Experience writing with and about data
- Ability to manage workstreams across teams
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication, organization, and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt to and guide others through a dynamic work environment
- Appreciation of cultural diversity and inclusion and an organizational mission
- Interest and experience in public policy preferred