is one of the premier staffing and recruiting companies in the Pacific Northwest. Launched in 2001, we are a woman-owned business that serves and staffs Northwest organizations by doing things the right way, not just the easiest way. Hansell Tierney
partners with candidates and clients to match the best candidates with interesting local opportunities. We navigate every relationship with the highest level of discretion and service while holding ourselves accountable to our promises. Our business thrives on our deep understanding of the job market and our ability to skillfully tailor our recruitment process to meet our clients’ unique needs.
We are currently helping our client, a groundbreaking aerospace and spaceflight company, with their search for a Machinist III position for the second shift, Monday through Thursday
– Fulltime / Direct Hire
- Kent, WA or Huntsville, AL
*Work sponsorship is not available at this time*
You will machine and fabricate flight vehicle components for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of aerospace tolerance and materials while setting up and operating mills, lathes and multi-axis machines to produce accurate components enabling first article success on tight tolerance high value parts. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Hands on set up and machining of 5 axis mills, multi axis lathes, development of critical machining processes, supporting aerospace, commercial aircraft or any specialized fabrication of close tolerance production hardware
- Adjust feeds and speeds on CNC machines as required
- Perform cutter selection
- Work to provided setup documentation
- Communicate with programmers and designers by providing Design for Manufacturing feedback
- Help with the setup new production work areas, including layouts, tooling and equipment setup, etc
- Direct hands on experience various products utilizing, multiple-axis machining, turning and or grinding centers
- Interface with area leadership to prioritize work based on production schedule and organizational goals
- Ensure product quality and conformance to engineering specifications
- Implement and refine new manufacturing processes
- Work with engineering to document and standardize production processes
- Collaborate with engineering to develop production ready manufacturing approach
- Review work instructions and provide recommended changes where necessary
- Assist with transition from development to production by working alongside engineering to successfully transition the product
- Identify and implement continuous improvement projects for area safety and efficiency
- Second party verification of manufactured hardware
- Other duties as assigned or otherwise beneficial to fulfilling the mission and vision
- Passion for our mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in machining aerospace components.
- Experience setting up and operating multi-axis mills, lathe, vertical turning lathes (VTL's), or EDM's
- Experience with conventional and CNC mills,, and lathes.
- Excellent blue print reading skills including GD&T per ASME Y14.5M-1994 standard.
- Ability to interpret engineering models, drawings, specifications, written work instructions, and test procedures.
- Experience working with hardened metals
- Experience with cutter selection with appropriate materials.
- Fluent in use of precision hand tools.
- Experience working with stainless steel, aluminum , titanium, or nickel based alloys
- Ability to provide Design for Manufacturing feedback.
- Customer focused with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with rapidly changing roles and responsibilities
- A demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with teams of diverse skills across large geographic distances
- A continuous improvement mindset. Our job is never complete; we are always optimizing.
- Intense curiosity for understanding the details of our business and how to optimize it.
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills and a proven ability to drive complex projects with minimal oversight
- Basic computer skills such as Windows, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Self-motivation and ability to prioritize projects to meet completion dates.
- Must be physically able to climb ladders, stairs, work in small/restricted areas, and lift and carry 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work 2nd shift (Monday through Thursday), as well as weekends and overtime, when necessary.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Fanuc, Haas, Mori-Seiki and Siemens controls experience.
- Multi-axis lathe, mill and VTL experience.
- Machining of nickel-based stainless steel alloys, copper, titanium.
- Tooling and fixture design.
- NC programming skills, preferably Mastercam X6 thru 2018.
- Conversational programming on the machine.
- Experience operating heavy lifting equipment such as cranes and forklifts around flight critical hardware.
- CMM programming/operation.
- Outside processing knowledge (heat treat, plating, coating, EDM, grinding, etc.).
- Experience machining tight tolerance, high value components.