is one of the premier staffing and recruiting companies in the Pacific Northwest. Launched in 2001, we are a woman-owned business that serves and staffs Northwest organizations by doing things the right way, not just the easiest way. Hansell Tierney partners with candidates and clients to match the best candidates with interesting local opportunities. We navigate every relationship with the highest level of discretion and service while holding ourselves accountable to our promises. Our business thrives on our deep understanding of the job market and our ability to skillfully tailor our recruitment process to meet our clients’ unique needs.
We are currently assisting our client with their search for a Manager, Policy & Advocacy
on their Climate and Clean Energy Team.
Our client is a mission-based organization focused on incubating and communicating new ideas, approaches, and products that improve the lives of people around the world, especially for the bottom two billion poorest people. Their work covers some of the most important global challenges in climate, energy, health, education, and development.
Limited, approx 3-4 times per year domestically
Must be able to pass a very extensive background investigation
We are searching for a Manager to primarily provide government affairs and partnership engagement support for the organization's climate and energy work. This position will include responsibilities to establish, develop, and manage relationships with federal and state legislative and government offices, business partners, and NGO partners, as well as assist with developing policy strategy – all to advance the organization's signature policy priorities.
- Develop and manage the team's policy content for federal, state, and corporate decision makers
- Develop and refine presentations on advocacy, political, and policy issues for internal and external use
- Assist with grantmaking work where relevant to legislative and government affairs or convening/partnerships; this includes reviewing, evaluating, and providing feedback on proposals
- Identify and execute day-to-day programmatic priorities, while keeping longer-term program considerations in focus
- Set up systems and files to ensure that all project and program information is appropriately documented and secured
Legislative and Government Affairs
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Manage strategy to engage with elected officials and government agencies to increase their understanding of clean energy policy priorities and opportunities
- Ensure regular points of contact with congressional offices and committees of interest, and establish and maintain relationships at federal agencies and other relevant federal government entities (Note: this position would not involve registering under the Lobbying Disclosure Act)
- Track legislative and appropriations actions and outcomes, and contribute to regular legislative and communications updates for the broader team
Partner Engagement and Outreach
- Inform strategy and help manage relationships for engagements with think tanks/NGOs, businesses, trade associations, universities, and other stakeholders related to our policy interests
- Participate in external policy-focused convenings and forums
- Coordinate with federal and state-focused policy organizations
- Recruit thought leaders/influencers, in coordination with other team members, for earned media/message amplification and education opportunities
Required Knowledge / Skill Set
- Exceptional ability to develop and maintain relationships and communicate effectively with a broad variety of bipartisan stakeholders
- Knowledge of the federal budget and legislative processes
- Familiarity with federal procurement processes
- Familiarity with climate technology needs to boost clean manufacturing, as well as low-carbon infrastructure and building materials; technology subject matter expertise not needed
- Strong writing, critical thinking, and analytical ability
- Expertise in PowerPoint; proficient in using MS Outlook, Word, OneNote, and Excel
- Project management and facilitation
Preferred Knowledge / Skill Set
Education and Work Experience
- Familiarity with early-stage technology startup and entrepreneurship issues
- Knowledge of relevant federal policies and programs (e.g. the Department of Energy’s Advanced Manufacturing Office)
- Familiarity with federal regulatory policy, including market-based standards (e.g. a clean electricity standard, emissions-based performance standards)
Our client celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. They are an equal opportunity employer.
- Strong work tenure with around 7-10 years of relevant experience
- Background in government relations, policy, and/or advocacy on clean energy and innovation issues
- Desire to be part of a fast-paced and ambitious team where the work and priorities regularly evolve to meet the moment